One of the benefits granted to the Social Security System (SSS) members is to have a pension after they reach the retirement age. This is also the primary reason of most members, to have their savings and cover their monthly expenses when the time that they cannot work.
But before you can avail this benefit you must pay first at least 120 total months of contribution. The member must be 60 years old if separated from employment or ceased to be self-employed, 65 years old if the member is employed or not and 55 years old for the underground mineworker of at least 5 years.
There are two types of retirement benefits, monthly pension and lumpsum amount.
Monthly Pension – a lifetime cash benefit paid to a retiree who has paid at least 120 monthly contributions to the SSS prior to the semester of retirement.
Lumpsum Amount – granted to a retiree who has not paid the required 120 monthly contributions. It is equal to the total contributions paid by the member and by the employer including interest.
For complete details and monthly pension computation, you can refer to this SSS page.
Requirements for SSS Retirement Benefits
If you are qualified to avail the retirement benefits, you need to prepare these requirements.
- Retirement Claim Application
- DDR Signature Card
- DDR Savings Account form
- Certificate of Separation from last employer (if member is less than 65 years old)
- Passbook or ATM Card (if pension); A member must open a single savings account in the bank of his choice and submit to the SSS his savings account number and a photocopy of his passbook or ATM Card upon filing of his application. The original copy of the passbook must be presented for authentication purposes.
- Certified true copies of birth or baptismal certificate of dependent children
- Certified of cessation of business or practice of profession (for self-employed members who are less than 65 years old)
- Certified true copy of marriage certificate
- Proofs of filiation for illegitimate dependent children
- UMID or SSS biometrics ID card or two (2) other valid IDs, both with signature and at least one (1) with photo and date of birth.
* Other supporting documents may be requested by SSS depending on the evaluation of the claim
If all the requirements needed are secured you can now apply for retirement benefits at any SSS branch near your place.
More SSS Tutorials
- How to Check or Inquire SSS Loan Outstanding Balance Online
- How to Change SSS Online Account Password
- How to Apply for an SSS Salary Loan Online
- How to Check SSS Employment History