How to get a Philippine Voter’s ID


When elections is coming in order to make your bid for the upcoming leaders you need to be a registered voters. When you are a registered voter, Commission on Elections (COMELEC) will issue a voters ID for you to use everytime you vote. The voter’s ID is not only limited to that; it can also be a valid ID for your bank requirements, loan requirements, identification requirements, passport and visa requirements, etc.

The voter’s ID is one of the most legitimate identification statements out there and here is how you can get one.

Before anything else, are you eligible to vote? Being ineligible to vote is just as bad as having no ID at all. So how would I know if I am eligible to vote?

  • At least 18 years old on or before election day
  • Philippine resident for at least one (1) year
  • A resident of the place where you want to vote for at least six (six) months
  • A Filipino citizen
  • Must not have been sentenced by final judgment for imprisonment for at least one (1) year

Step 1. Bring a valid ID to your local Commission on Election (COMELEC) or to registration areas in malls and barangays. These are the list of the accepted IDs:

  • Postal ID
  • Employee ID or Company ID with signature of employer
  • PWD Discount ID
  • Senior Citizen’s ID
  • Driver’s license
  • NBI Clearance
  • Passport
  • Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) ID
  • Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) license
  • Student’s ID or Library card
  • Any valid ID

Step 2. Fill out three (3) copies of the form to apply for registration. You may fill out application forms online by going to COMELEC’s Irehistro site at You will need to pass three (3) duly accomplished application forms and present it to your COMELEC Office where your biometrics will be taken.

Step 3. Have them to take your biometrics. The officials there will take your photo, signature (digital), and your fingerprints. Keep the receipt; it will be at the bottom part of your application form where the official will detach and give to you.

For voters outside the country:

If you are outside the country during the voting period from April 9, 2016 to May 9, 2016 and you are a qualified voter, you will be asked for a duly accomplished overseas voting form. In addition to that, you will be also asked to bring the following documents, such as:

  • Philippine Seaman’s Book (for seafarers)
  • A valid Philippine passport or certification from the Department of Foreign Affairs

You can use the COMELEC’s Post Finder or see the list of consular jurisdiction at the COMELEC website to see where you can register. You can also register as an absentee voter even before leaving the country. The COMELEC has set up overseas voters’ registration centers at the following areas:

  • Commission on Filipinos Overseas (CFO) office at the CFO Building, President Quirino corner Osmeña Highway, Paco, Manila
  • Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Office of Consular Affairs, along Macapagal Avenue, Parañaque City
  • Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminals 1, 2, and 3
  • Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) office in Intramuros, Manila
  • Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) office in Mandaluyong City, via: Balik Manggagawa Center or the Pre-departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) Area
  • Philippine Transmarine Carriers (PTC) office, Bagtikan St, Makati City – for seafarers

So these are what you need in order to register for the upcoming elections. Take note that the voter’s ID will be released after a few months or even a year depending on the city or municipality. Nevertheless, once you have your voter’s ID, you can use it to strongly prove your identity. Good luck in getting your voter’s ID.

Subscribe for updates!

Enter your email address to subscribe and be the first to notified when we publish new article.


What can I do with my old or broken smartphone

How to Follow-up on Your Job Application


Leave a Comment