We all know that one of the major and primary identification documents here in our country is the driver’s license. As a matter of fact, having this ID would immediately alert people that you are the person you’re claiming to be. The reason for this would be the process of how to get one. Before getting a non-professional driver’s license, you would first need to get a student’s permit. In this article, you will know how you can apply for the LTO student’s permit this year.
Updated LTO Student’s Permit Requirements and Procedure 2021
Every now and then, the requirements for getting a student’s permit change. This would depend on what the government and the LTO would say. This year, the eligibility requirements in applying for a student’s permit are:
- The applicant should be at least seventeen (16) years old for Filipino Citizens
- Must be literate; the person applying should be able to read and write in Filipino and/or English
- Must be both physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle
- Must not have unsettled traffic violation
If the applicant is a foreigner, the applicant must be at least eighteen (18) years old and must have been in the Philippines for at least one (1) month and proof of stay for at least six (6) months.
Student’s permit license documentary requirements
Once all of the criteria listed above are met, the applicant can now prepare the documentary requirements. First off, do know that some documentary requirements might not be included here. So, to be sure, always bring a photocopy of the requirements you are going to bring.
The documentary requirements would be:
- Appropriately filled-out and accomplished application form of driver’s license
- If the applicant is below (18) years old, they need to submit an original copy of your parents/guardian/s consent together with a photocopy of at least one (1) of their valid IDs.
- A medical certificate given by a licensed practicing physician. This medical certificate would tell the LTO office that the applicant is physically and mentally capable of handling a motor vehicle.
- An original and a photocopy of the applicant’s PSA-certified birth certificate (with marriage contract for married women)
- Any issued ID with photo and signature
- 15-hour Theoretical Driving Course certificate of completion
- Taxpayer’s Identification Number (TIN), if employed
If the applicant is a foreigner, they need to submit both the original and the photocopy of their passport with the entry date of at least one (1) month. In addition, the visa duration should be at least one (1) year from the date of application. If the foreigner is born in the Philippines, he/she needs to present both the original and the photocopy of the PSA-certified birth certificate.
Now that you know the eligibility requirements and the documentary requirements, you can now start with the process. It’s actually really simple, just bring all of the requirements you need, proceed to any LTO office, and wait for two (2) to three (3) hours with the process, and voila! You’ll get your student’s permit in no time.
Tips on applying for the LTO student’s permit
1. When you go to apply for a student’s permit, line up at least 1 hour earlier before you plan ongoing. At around 6 or 7 AM, the line is already long.
2. Bring everything on your first trip there to avoid delays. You will be expecting a train-ride when you go there so it’s better if you already have everything with you.
3. Expect long lines. All government offices offer this type of deal so it’s better if you finish everything on your next go.
4. Food and water aren’t banned. In LTO stations, there are stores nearby but it’s better if you bring your own snacks and food to avoid going in and out of the office.
How much is the fee for you to get a student’s permit?
Every now and then, the fees change. As of July 2018, the price of applying for a student’s permit is Php317. 63. This does not include the medical examination fees, though.
1. Proceed to the LTO office. There would be instructions on the windows there. More so, the guards and other personnel would be able to assist you where you need to go.
2. Once you submit your documents, you have to wait for the staff to encode your details in the LTO system when your documentary requirements get approved.
3. After all of the verification, they will call you to a separate window where you need to have your picture and signature taken.
4. Once all information is entered, you will be called to the cashier to pay the fees.
5. Wait for the process and they will provide either a student ID card with a receipt or a paper claiming that that is the student’s permit.
There you go, you now know all that you need in order for you to apply for an LTO student’s permit, you just have to prepare all documents, make sure that you’re eligible, and endure the lines in the LTO.
Featured image credit to Carmudi