Some would wonder how they can get a red ribbon mark from the Department of Foreign Affairs. Worry no more because in this article, we will be teaching you how you can get certified by the department themselves without going through a hassle and long process just for you to get the red ribbon certification. Let us cut the talk and get on with the subject, now.

First and foremost, why would people want to have their documents under the DFA Red Ribbon Seal? For different people, there must be different reasons and those reasons may be:

  • To claim authenticity
  • Employment (local and international)
  • Education
  • Application for loans
  • Certifying true copy
  • Legal claims
  • Acquiring assets and liabilities
  • Registration purposes
  • Driving a car and getting a license
  • Medical
  • Training
  • Authorization
  • Professional licensing exam
  • Additional supporting document to existing questionable document
  • Certification
  • Proof of real ownership
  • Identity establishment

These are only few of the reasons why most Filipinos yearn to have their documents under the red-ribbon seal of the Department of Foreign Affairs. But to prove one specific point, this is to really gratify authenticity and legitimateness of the documents and to prove and sugarcoat the documents they possess. Meaning, presenting documents under DFA’s authentication will let you have the power of proof that the document is valid and that you won’t be asked questions as to its validity and ownership.

Before going on with the process, some of you may be asking, what documents can be under the red-ribbon seal or mark from the DFA? A slight heads up for everyone because some of you may not expect such documents under this category. The documents that you can red-ribbon are:

  • Birth Certificate – NSO/PSA and DFA
  • Marriage Contract – NSO/PSA and DFA
  • CENOMAR (certificate of non marriage) – NSO/PSA and DFA
  • Death certificate – NSO/PSA and DFA
  • Marriage Contract {Local Civil Registry copy (for not readable, BC, MC, DC)} – NSO/PSA and DFA
  • Certification of Non-Marriage Record (from NSO/PSA – Valid only for six months upon issue of document) – NSO/PSA and DFA
  • Certificate of Muslim Tribal Affiliation – OMA, Shari’a Court, NSO/PSA, DFA
  • Certificate of Conversion to Islam – OMA, Shari’a Court, NSO/PSA, DFA
  • Police Clearance – PNP , DFA
  • NBI Clearance – NBI, DFA
  • LTO Certificate – LTO, DFA
  • Driver’s License – LTO, DFA
  • Report of Rating – PRC, DFA
  • Certificate of Registration – PRC, DFA
  • Certification of Good Standing – PRC, DFA
  • Professional License – PRC, DFA
  • Community Tax Certificate / Cedula – City Treasurer’s Office, DFA
  • Barangay Certification/Mayor’s Certification- Barangay Chairman, Mayor, DFA
  • Barangay Clearances – Barangay Chairman, Mayor, DFA
  • Voter’s ID/Certificate – COMELEC Manila, DFA
  • Travel Clearance of a Filipino Minor without Accompanying Parents – DSWD, DFA
  • Alien Certificate of Registration – Immigrant/Native-Born Residence Certificate – Bureau of Immigration, DFA
  • College Diploma and Transcript of Records (Collegiate Level) – School, CHED (depending on the region), DFA
  • College Diploma and Transcript of Records (For State Colleges and University) (Use 1 & 3 CAV signed by the University Registrar) – School, CHED (depending on the region), DFA
  • Certificate of Enrollment/Report of Grades – School, CHED (depending on the region), DFA
  • Certification of Graduation – School, CHED (depending on the region), DFA
  • Secondary/Elementary Diploma and Form 137-A, Special Order – School, DEPED (depending on the region), DFA
  • Certification of Graduation – School, DEPED (depending on the region), DFA
  • Certificate of Enrollment/Report of Grades – School, DEPED (depending on the region), DFA
  • Diploma on Technical and Skills Development Courses – School, TESDA(depending on the region), DFA
  • Transcript of Records – School, TESDA (depending on the region), DFA
  • Certificate of Enrollment/Report of Grades – School, TESDA (depending on the region), DFA
  • Certification of Graduation – School, TESDA (depending on the region), DFA
  • Medical Certificate – Clinic/Hospital, DOH-BLR, DFA

Note that the documents listed here, are only the most important ones and the most common documents that people seal under the Department of Foreign Affairs’ Red Ribbon seal. There are some more documents which you can do it unto and you can ask and search for them when you get to the DFA.

And you may ask for the requirements? Well the only requirements of having it red ribbon sealed are The Certified True Copy of the Document that needs thorough Authentication from the branch/office where it was issued and at least two (2) Valid IDs to prove your identity. Have it photocopied and have the original ones just to be sure.

Read: List of Valid IDs in the Philippines

Procedure on how to process Red Ribbon Documents in DFA

  1. Be sure to bring all of the documents that you want under the red ribbon seal during the time of the application.
  2. Secure an application form (color blue) from the counter near the entrance of the DFA in Gate 2. Duly accomplish the form. You have a maximum of five (5) documents per application form so if you need more than 5, then you need to go grab another application form.
  3. Present your documents for an initial validation by the staff assigned to validate and check the documents.
  4. Proceed to the cashier for the payment. The fee is Php100 for the regular processing fee which takes up to 5-7 business days while the rushed fee is Php200.00 and the document will be available on the following day.
  5. Return the duplicate copy of the receipt from the window where your documents had been accepted.
  6. Claim the now newly authenticated documents on the release date which will be shown on your receipt.
  7. If in any case the applicant would not be able to claim the documents, an authorized representative can get it from the DFA but with the following:
    • Photocopy of the applicant’s ID bearing his/her signature
    • Representative’s ID bearing his/her signature
    • Authorization letter and/or Special Power of Attorney from the applicant

So here are the steps, the requirements, and the documents that you can have under the Department of Foreign Affairs’ red ribbon seal or mark. Documents under this mark prove to be untouched and unquestioned so if you plan on having complete certification and authorization over your documents, it is best to have it under DFA’s Red Ribbon Seal.

Feature image credit to


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.