Even before, Canada has been one of the top places to go to if you’re looking for a high-paying income. Yes, OFWs aim for Canada because of:
- Different Climate
- Diversified Environment
- Academic and Professional Growth
- Chance to Explore/Travel
Of course, after years of working, they bring their families to Canada to be with them and from there, life starts. However, Canada imposed a somewhat different employment rule.
Just recently, Alberta, Canada implemented a temporary deployment ban for Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW). Employers hiring from Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) is subject to this change according to the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) and the Department of Labor (DOLE). Although this is the current case of Canada, aspiring OFW applicants should not be disappointed. Why? Because this implementation only serves a two-year ban.
Read: Requirements and procedure for Visa Application in Canada
However, there are a couple of guidelines that can brighten aspirants. Under the TFWP, Canadian employers are STILL allowed to hire expatriate or foreign workers in temporary basis to fill in the shortage; that is IF no Canadian resident or permanent resident is available for the job.
Despite this occurrence, the POEA assures that the Canadian government will refrain from suspending or canceling contracts before the 19th of April, 2017.
Foreign temporary workers including OFWs are no longer allowed to pursue the following jobs in Alberta, Canada:
- Civil Engineers
- Civil Engineering Technologists and Technicians
- Engineering Managers
- Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Electricians and Industrial Electricians
- Industrial Engineers
- Geological and Mineral Technologists and Technicians
- Contractors, Supervisors, Electrical Trades, and Telecommunications (Occupations)
- Human Resources Managers
- Purchasing Agents and Officers
- Production Logistics Coordinators
- Mechanical Engineers
- Machinists & Machining and Tooling Inspectors
- Non-Destructive Testers and Inspection Technicians
- Welders and Related Machine Operators
Aspiring Filipino workers who plan on working in Canada should not worry. This deployment ban, again is temporary. In addition to that, do not feel bad if you’ve been accepted earlier this month because the POEA will restrict cancellation and rescheduling.
What do you think about this deployment ban? Is it necessary? Although we aren’t sure of the reasons why, there may be some things they need to straighten out. They wouldn’t be pushing through with this ban if it’s just out of nothing, right?
- New Zealand waives Visa application fee for Filipino visitors
- How to Check Job Order Online on POEA Website
- How to Check Illegal Recruitment Agency using POEA website