At one point in our careers, we would of course want a few days off to find peace and serenity and to avoid the stressful and hard working environment of work. Employees who overcame probation and are considered to be regular employees can send a request to their employers that they will go and take a leave from work. They can do this by writing a letter or by educating their employers ahead of time so that the bosses have time to think and to decide whether they will approve of it or not. But what makes a successful Vacation Leave (VL)?
Before anything else, an employee should know how filing of these requests run in the company they are working for. There may be forms needed to be filled out or you may have to talk to certain people or they might be an amount of time, and so on. Aside from the assurance of the approval, an employee has a higher chance of being approved of the leave if he/she follows the company’s guidelines without flaw.
Do not worry, filing a vacation leave is normal because everybody needs a time off, right? Even your bosses file requests like these and they would understand if you did it. However, getting approved of a vacation leave would be highly successful if you write them a letter that is sent a few days or weeks prior to the date of your leave. In a few companies, the approval of the leave is determined by the date allowance of the date you want to have the time off.
Writing a letter
Your chances of getting approved would go up if you submit a letter rather than just “mentioning it” to your boss. So how should your letter be?
- Your reason should be written in the first paragraph so that the person would not need to scan the letter for the aim.
- It should be written clearly and the request should be as direct as possible.
- You should include the date, how many days you are going to have the leave, and your name and position.
- If possible that someone is willing to take over the work you are going to leave, it is recommended that you specifically name the person that will cover up for you.
- When an employer or a boss approves the letter, you can enclose a letter from them stating that they agreed to the request. You can have two (2) copies of the letter: one is for your sending and one is for your own copy. Your own copy is a copy you can have where you can ask people who agreed with your request to sign so that they know that it really was approved.
Here is a sample Vacation Request Letter:
Chris De Guzman
899 Sampaguita St., San Juan
June 30, 2016
Attn: Roberto Gonzaga
Dear Mr. Gonzaga,
I would like to request vacation for August 17-21, 2016. It has been nearly 5 years since I have had a family vacation. I wish to use some of my vacation hours for some much needed family time. Currently, I have 125 vacation hours and want to use 40 of them.
At the current time, all of my work is completed. I will also make sure that all pending work will be completed in advance before I leave for this trip. I will ensure that whoever fills in for me in my absence will not have much to do.
As you know, I am a hard worker and put in more than 60 hours a week. A good way to keep refreshed and not to burn out is to have a vacation once in a while. I feel I am long overdue. I have put a trip on hold several times for company demands. I would like to have some time to spend with my family.
I have filled out the official company Vacation Request From and have attached it for your review. Please respond to me in writing so that I may schedule my trip.
Chris De Guzman
Taken from www.requestletters.com
Filing a vacation leave is not as tough as it may seem. You just need to have proper etiquette and you should know the company’s policy as regards to requesting leaves and vacations. Just be polite and straightforward about your request and there should be no problem with that. What are your thoughts about this? Let us know in the comments section below.
Read Also: How to write a good resumé