The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) is conscientious for realizing the country’s goal of globally competitive and innovative industry. Most services sector that have a say to inclusive growth and employment generation, together with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) organized the Trabaho, Negosyo, Kabuhayan (TNK) Employment and Livelihood Summit.
The program aims to fill all unemployment by 2022. It would also increase employment levels, improve access to employment opportunities, and address a person’s skills requirement.
The government through DTI and DOLE, gathered the public and private sectors and members of the academe to develop a national employment program; a strategic plan that supports the National Development and Security Strategy.
During the TNK caravan, DTI, DOLE and their partners conducts job hiring and livelihood seminars. Every interested Filipino can join by walking-in to the job fairs and seminars they are conducting nationwide.
The aim is to eradicate the growing unemployment and underemployment rate. However, this needs a resolution. The DTI, together with its partners, formulated the following strategies that will increase employment levels:
- Increase in local and foreign investments in the industry sector particularly Manufacturing and Construction by implementing the Manufacturing Industry Roadmap (MIR)
- Invest in human capital development. Systematically assess future skills needs, taking into consideration transformation of jobs due to technology and new production conditions.
- Implement the Comprehensive National Strategy (CNIS) to upgrade selected industries that generate employment, integrate manufacturing agriculture and services
- Transform the Philippines into a strong, productive, innovative, and competitive exporting nation. How? by implementing a comprehensive, domestic and export development plan.
- Further enhance the country’s competitiveness and address cross cutting issues that hinder the country’s competitiveness.
- Spur an entrepreneurial revolution an encourage the formalization and growth of MSMEs through the full implementation of the GO Negosyo Law.
- Foster the convergence of the different livelihood and entrepreneurship programs among government agencies.
- Sustain the growth of investments in the services sector specifically IT-BPM, Tourism, Wholesale and Retail Trade by implementing a)PH Future Roadmap 2022 b)Tourism Pathways to Industry Growth and Development
- Promote and develop Agribusiness Sector by identifying profitable agri-fishery products supported by a holistic market-driven perspective, farming technologies, training in more sophisticated farming techniques, creating stable supply chains and establishing transport and agricultural infrastructure.
According to DTI Secretary Ramon B. Lopez, “The government is cognizant that we should make these industries attractive to investors hence, the action plan will allow us to prioritize.”
He also called on participants to invest in the country’s human capital to help address the perennial problem of skills mismatch. In addition, this is also to sustain the growth of Philippines industries.
For more info see the infographic from DTI.
Featured Image: PIA Mindanao