There are also ways in order to fund for education even if none of your family members would. You can go and produce funds by striving hard for it, you can search for ways to fund your education, or you can ask the Social Security System (SSS) help for that. Now, there is what we call Educational Assistance Loan Program for workers and beneficiaries to borrow or lend money for enrollment, technical, and vocational courses. Here is everything you need to know about Educ-Assist.
What is the objective of this program?
People are wondering why this program had been born. To be frank, our own government wants its country to be filled with more professionals and skilled workers to give aid to the country’s economic and industrial productivity with agricultural expansion; and having this program enables our countrymen to have access to better and higher education to expand the reaches of what our people can do.
Who are eligible for this program?
Not everyone is up for this program; there are certain criteria as to who can apply for this program.
- Up-to-date members for the payment of salary/housing loan amortization. If member is in overdue amount, it must not exceed three (3) monthly loan amortization;
- SSS members who have paid at least thirty-six (36) monthly contributions in which three (3) should be within the last twelve (12) months prior to the date of application for the loan; and
- Members whose last posted Monthly Salary Credit (MSC) is Php15, 000.00 or below provided that his/her actual basic salary is not more than Php15, 000.00 per month.
The members are not only the ones who can benefit from this program, it also includes their:
- Legal Spouse
- Child of the member (including illegitimate)
- And sibling of unmarried SSS member (including half brother/sister)
How much can I loan if I go through this program?
The amount of loan depends on what type of education you are planning to pursue.
- Vocational Course/Technical Course (2 years minimum) – Maximum of Php7,500.00 per semester/trimester or the exact amount of tuition fee + miscellaneous fees, whichever is lower, rounded off to the next higher Php100.00
- Degree Course – Maximum of Php15, 000.00 per semester/trimester or the exact amount of tuition fee + miscellaneous fees, whichever is lower, rounded off to the next higher Php100.00
In order to apply for this program, the member should have:
- SSS ID or two (2) valid IDs
- A duly accomplished application form
- Assessment/billing statement issued by the school of the member/beneficiary
At what form shall the support be released?
After submitting your application, SSS shall release a check payable to the school where the member/beneficiary is enrolled and it will be released to the member/beneficiary. Subsequent loan releases shall be made upon submission of another accomplished application form along with assessment/billing statement from the school. Validation may be done to ensure that the member/beneficiary will continue school.
Education is the best investment you can make; our government came up with ways to support a person’s education here in our country. Did you have any idea about this? Go and inquire now. Stay tuned for more helpful articles and guides.
Read Also: List of SSS benefits for their members