Adding a second layer of security to any of your online accounts is a must nowadays. Some online financial accounts like on the online banking uses this feature to secure their clients.
Facebook also has this feature, if you still don’t know how to add security to your Facebook account, you may refer to my previous post “How to Add Security to Facebook account“.
This article will show you how to add another layer of security to your google account using your phone via text, voice call, or google authenticator app that can be installed on your smartphone.
Using 2-step verification, everytime you login to your Google account it will ask for the verification code that you can only get on your phone, whether it is by text, voice call or app.
This will make your account secure from other individuals that are trying to access. Even they guess your password they cannot use it unless they have your registered smartphone.
To Add Second Layer Security to your Google Account using phone number follow these steps
- Go to Google 2-step verification page (https://www.google.com/landing/2step/) then click on “Get Started” button
- Sign In to 2-step verification, click “Start Setup”.
- Sign in to your Google account the you want to add second layer security
- Enter the Phone number of your phone, select how to you want to receive code, then click on send code.
- Enter the 6 digit verification code that Google sent to your phone, then click verify.
- Click “Trust this Computer” Checkbox, in case you lost your phone, then click next.
- Click Confirm to turn on 2-step verification
Now, everytime you log in to your Google account, Google will send a code to your phone to use in order to log in. If you want to use apps, Google has their own app, called Google authenticator.
To Add Second Layer Security to your Google Account using Google authenticator apps follow these steps
- Go to Google authentication settings page (https://accounts.google.com/b/0/SmsAuthSettings). If you still login, you will arrive directly on the page. If not, enter your password, then click the “Update Now” button to arrive on the same page above.
- To activate google authenticator, click on “Switch to app” button
- On the popup screen, select which type of smartphone you have, then click continue.
- Follow the instructions on the next screen to set up Google Authenticator, once done, enter the 6 digit from your phone to the code field given then click “Verify and Save”
- Click Ok to finish the set up.
For more tutorials and tips, don’t forget to like our Facebook page and follow our social media accounts, you can also subscribe to our email list to receive helpful articles.