Requirements and Procedure for Late Registration of Birth Certificate in the Philippines

When I post the instructions how to get NSO certificate online, a lot of inquiries regarding the late registration came in to my page inbox, asking how they can file for late registration because they don’t have record’s at NSO.


So, I have decided to create this article to further help them in their queries. Below are the requirements for late registration of Birth certificate in the Philippines.

Requirements for Late Registration of Birth Certificate

If the person is less than eighteen (18) years old, the following shall be required:

  • Four (4) copies of the Certificate of Live Birth duly accomplished and signed by the proper parties;
  • Accomplished Affidavit for Delayed Registration at the back of Certificate of Live Birth by the father, mother, or guardian, declaring therein, among other things, the following:
    • name of child
    • date and place of birth
    • name of the father if the child is illegitimate and has been acknowledged by him;
    • if legitimate, the date and place of marriage of parents; and
    • reason for not registering the birth within thirty (30) days after the date of birth

    In case the party seeking late registration of the birth of an illegitimate child is not the mother, the party shall, in addition to the foregoing facts, declare in a sworn statement the recent whereabouts of the mother.

  • Any two of the following documentary evidences which may show the name of the child, date and place of birth, and name of mother (and name of father, if the child has been acknowledged):
    • baptismal certificate;
    • school records (nursery, kinder-garten, or preparatory);
    • income tax return of parent/s;
    • insurance policy;
    • medical records; and
    • others, such as barangay captain’s certification.
  • Affidavit of two disinterested persons who might have witnessed or known the birth of the child.

If the person is eighteen (18) years old or above.

  • All the requirements for the person who is less than eighteen (18) years old; and
  • Certificate of Marriage, if married.

How to File Late Registration

The procedure of filing late or delayed registration of birth is like an ordinary registration of birth.

  1. Go to the Office of the Civil Registrar in the municipal or city hall of the place where the birth occurred and bring the requirements mentioned above.
  2. The civil registrar will examine the Certificate of Live Birth presented if it is completely filled with all the requirements needed.
  3. If the foreigner filled a late registration, travel documents showing the origin and nationality of the parents shall be presented in addition to the requirements.

For complete details please visit the Philippine Statistics Authority webpage.

To notify for latest updates Follow us on Google+